Monday, April 4, 2011

The Value of Giving to Others

   I have realized by my children's attitudes that they have not witnessed and been part of enough giving.  This is hard to admit since it is my husband and I that they are watching and learning from.  I can not say this about my family or his family because they have always been very giving to others and to our family.  I feel like we do give, but do we go beyond?  Probably not!  Our heavenly Father call us to give to others and to not store up riches here on earth. (Matthew 6:19-21)  Evidently, I have been giving TOO much to my children and they think that I should give even more! 
   I have finally come to the realization that this is a bad path to lead them down and we should u-turn it back to where we should be!!  I have explained to my son and daughter, (ages 9 & 5), that we have been blessed beyond measure and that we should desire to share with others our blessings.  They agreed and even gave examples of how we do and have given.  I explained to them that we need to buy out of neccessity and not desire/wants for this whole week and that we should find some ways to give to others this week. (We are starting small!)  They both agreed that we should go for it!
   With that said, we took a trip to wonderful Hobby Lobby this morning.  My daughter was so excited to go look at "all of the beautiful things" they have there.  But my son said, "Momma, I thought we were only supposed to buy out of necessity?"  I assured him that we were only buying what we needed to make a gift for a friend that just had a baby.  His response, "But it's not a necessity."  Not sure if he's right or wrong.  I do love to make things for other people and I feel like it is an ok way to give. To the left is a picture of the baby gift! (Had to add a crafty picture in here!)
   Well, we are on day 1 and not sure how it's going, but we will continue to strive to have a more giving heart so that it comes more naturally and we don't have to even think about it.  So if you would like to join our family in prayer for a more giving heart, these are some verses in the Bible that spoke to us.

John 3:16
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Acts 10:22
He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly.

1 John 3: 17-18
17If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? 18Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

Hebrews 13:16
16And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.


Luke 6:38
38Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
  The list could go on and on.  There are so many verses in the Bible where God calls us as his sons and daughters to give to others.  It is my prayer that I will see a change in my children and myself.  Not just because I think they ask for "too many things," but because it is a value that God has called us as parents to instill in our children!

No comments:

Post a Comment